Friday, January 20, 2006

Midterm week just reached a SHITTY climax!

Oh God! I just got an unpleasantly, semi-surprisingly difficult exam yesterday! It was CS 216: Logic Design and the items were - oh I don't want to talk about it! It destroys the start of this day, which is the last day of the midterms, thank God! Today, I'm about to take another nerve-racking exam on the ridiculously objective Philosophy class. I see another Siansi Sai. I shall call him... Siansi Sai Sa, the third one. Yes we have three Siansi Sai this sem and all of them bo langchao, u chibay! HAHAHAHAHAHA! It's for you to find out what that means.

Oh, I just forgot for weeks to tell that I have already finished reading Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. I've read it for three days but I wanted it to last a week so I can savor it and the triumph of finally getting the real book on my hands. But I had to finish it as early as possible 'coz there were a lot of other things to work on.

I didn't like the ending, and therefore, the whole book. That's why I didn't post about it soon. Dumbledore died, Snape killed him, he's still a Death Eater and shockingly, he's the Half-Blood Prince! While going through the book, I thought that the Half-Blood Prince was Lord Voldemort until that "Flight of the Prince" chapter. Voldemort's childhood life was like the highlight of the book along with the Half-Blood Prince's Advanced Potions book. It was shown that Voldemort had a witch for a mother, who is a Gaunt, a family descendant of Slytherin. However, his father was a muggle named Tom Riddle, who left the witch pregnant with their son, who would soon be the Dark Lord. So Voldemort was half-blood, which led me to thinking he's the Prince. So much for juxtaposing...

The book was dreadful, but I thought that it still proved J.K. Rowling's imaginative prowess. The Unbreakable Vow and especially the Horcrux were unbelievable magic. Now I understand why and how Voldemort seems immortal. It's a hair-raising concept of a wizard having to kill so he can "tear" a part of his soul and store it in an object, which would be his Horcrux. So in case the wizard dies, his Horcrux, which contains his "torn soul," can bring him back to life.

What Voldemort did was to tear his soul in seven (!) parts because he thought that the number was lucky. So he made six Horcruxes! One part of his soul remained in his body, which was now dead. That's why he's after his Horcruxes now. Dumbledore presupposed that the Horcruxes were hidden and heavily guarded with magic. In the book, one of his hands was charred while destroying a Horcrux, which was the ring of Slytherin. Neat, isn't it?

Have to stop here now. Got to study for Philosophy. Can't wait for the seventh book...