Monday, May 07, 2007

Manny, Manny, Manny...

I will never be able to save myself from regularly blogging irregularly. Get it? Oh well, it's hard to break a habit.

For the sake of breaking the blogging silence, I am again going to talk about my beloved Manny Pacquioa. <-- I know it's misspelled, but I dont care! So he won his last boxing match again. I'm not surprised. Although his last opponent was by then undefeated while Manny had already lost four (not sure) times, the Pambansang Kamao had more wins and knockouts. Congratulations Pacman! I really mean it. By then I got tired of trash-talking about him. I felt the need to stop doing it 'coz it's immature, and it's not fun anymore. Everyone likes him. I think I was the only Filipino who by then hated him to death. I gotta give him credit for representing our country excellently in boxing.

But wait! What's this about Manny running for the Congress?! That's *&^#%@*&!! It's FPJ for politics Part 2! Manny is only for boxing!! It's his ONLY destiny! He can never be good for Congress!

I remember when he was interviewed about what he would do in the Congress if he wins, he remarked first that you don't have to be intellegent to be a politician; that what is more important is the passion to serve the people. And then he specifically stated his gameplan in the Congress: to listen to the bills that would be drafted by the other intelligent people in the Congress, and then vote for the bills that he thinks is good for his hometown, General Santos. Well, that's a job of a Congressman, but that's not his only task! The essence of being a member of the House of Representatives is to author or at least co-author a bill, not just to pretend to listen and understand the other congresspeople and vote for those he thinks is good for the country, General Santos in particular.

When rumors about Manny's plan to challenge the current Congresswoman of his hometown, political jokes about him being intellectually unfit for politics started to circulate. There was this comic strip in a national newspaper where a caricature of Manny was being interviewed by a member of the media. The reporter asked something like, "What can you say about Republic Act... (blah, blah, blah)?" And Manny's answer was something like, "Hello to my fans! Thank you for your support in the fight!" And then there were circulating text messages announcing that Manny was dead because of a politically motivated assassination. That was definitely a joke because unfortunately, he's still very much alive. But now, he's scared as hell that he even beefed up his and his family's security with more bodyguards. I now feel that there is a brotherhood of anti-Manny Pacquiao. Sign me up!

I will just say one thing about Manny pursuing a seat in the Congress: if he wins, I hope that God will destroy General Santos!

May the Philippines have not only an honest but also an intelligent election this coming 14th of May.

0 comments: